CrossFit Announces Two-Stage Format for the 2020 Games
CROSSFIT HAS JUST ANNOUNCED THEIR TWO-STAGE ONLINE AND IN-PERSON FORMAT FOR THE 2020 REEBOK CROSSFIT GAMES.
The format includes 60 Athletes in 16 Countries who will be Competing for One of Ten Slots at In-Person California Finals for Fittest Man & Fittest Woman on Earth
Santa Cruz, CA — August 7, 2020 — CrossFit today announced a change to the format for the 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games that will separate the event into two stages: an online competition in Athletes’ home countries from which the top five men and top five women will advance to an in-person finals in California to crown the Fittest Man and Fittest Woman on Earth.
“The 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games are a go!,” said CrossFit CEO Eric Roza. “At CrossFit, we are always energized by a challenge, and hosting a worldwide sporting event in the age of COVID is no exception. We are excited to be able to deliver the CrossFit Games to our athletes, fans, and CrossFit gym members in 158 countries through a two-stage format that combines a worldwide online competition with a small in-person finals in Northern California. This innovative format will help us protect the safety of our athletes while delivering a world-class Games experience to identify the world’s fittest individuals.”
Elements of the 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games will include:
• The roster of 30 men and 30 women from 16 countries who were invited to the 2020 CrossFit Games will compete from their homes or local gyms.
• The first stage of the competition will determine final placements and prize money for Games winners from 6th to 30th place.
• The top five men and women will be invited to compete in Northern California in the finals, under strict safety protocols.
• The dates for the competition are being determined based on input from the Athletes and will be announced by mid-August.
• The first stage will take place in September, and the in-person finals for the five top men and women roughly 4-5 weeks later.
• All events will be filmed and streamed for fans on the CrossFit Games site, and the Games will be promoted broadly across mainstream and social media.
• Every Athlete will be judged in person by an experienced member of CrossFit’s Seminar Staff.
“The world is dealing with an unprecedented crisis,” said Dave Castro, CrossFit Director of Sport. “After extensive discussions with athletes and public health officials, we decided that this format was the best way to preserve the spirit and substance of the Games and ensure athletes can compete for the title of Fittest on Earth in a safe and fair manner.”
More information about the 2020 Reebok CrossFit Games, including final dates and schedules for individual athletes’ events, will be available on games.crossfit.com.